We’ve all been there – as much as we love our furry friends, there’s no doubting the fact that they come with more than their fair share of messes. Whether it’s muddy paw prints being tracked inside onto your area rug after a rain-soaked day at the park, or the case of a nervous puppy being introduced to the household for the first time, keeping your carpets clean in a pet-friendly home can seem like a bit of an uphill battle!
Thankfully, there are several ways to keep your home fresh and clean while also accommodating for your four-legged pals. Let Dazzle CC show you how!
Getting pet urine out of carpets
Forget about appearances for a second – puppy pee is one of the most unpleasant scents in existence, and it takes more than a little bit of air freshener to cover it up, let alone get rid of it. If your pet has an accident on the carpet, the best thing that you can do is act quickly to avoid the moisture sinking even deeper into the fibers.
Then, follow these simple steps to take care of business:
- Place a clean, dry rag on top of the affected area to absorb as much of the urine as possible – this’ll stop it from soaking further into the carpet. Dab gently – but don’t rub! – to blot the urine into the rag.
- It’s time to raid your kitchen! Grab some baking soda, and sprinkle it lightly on top of the stain. Baking soda helps to neutralize unpleasant odors; it’ll also further absorb the puppy pee!
- Mix together a solution of 50% water and 50% white vinegar, and spray liberally onto the carpet. Vinegar helps to cancel out the ammonia in pet urine; it’ll also work as a natural sanitizer while inhibiting new bacteria growth. Let the vinegar solution sit for five to ten minutes.
- Now is the time to scrub! Work at the stain with a clean, damp cloth and go ahead and work the baking soda, water, and vinegar into the fibers of the carpet.
- And that’s all there is to it! Allow the carpet to dry fully, and vacuum afterward – there should be no trace remaining of vinegar or pet urine, signifying a job well done.
What about…the other stuff?
It’s not much fun to talk about, but if you’re a pet owner, then you’re familiar with number two as much as you are number one. Cleaning up the stains left behind by pet feces might seem like an impossible task, but there are ways to tackle it at home. Like with all spills and messes, we recommend tending to them as soon as possible.
Here is an easy guide to cleaning up the extra dirty pet stains on your carpet:
- Put on a pair of gloves, and start scraping any excess feces out of the fibers of your carpet. If it helps, you can use a butter knife, and even a baby wipe to help clean the area as much as you can.
- Mix a cleaning solution of two cups cool water, one tablespoon of liquid non-bleach dish soap and one tablespoon white vinegar. You definitely want to ensure that your dish soap is bleach free to avoid discolouring your carpet! If you’re unsure, go ahead and patch test a small, inconspicuous section of your carpet to avoid potentially damaging the visible or high-traffic areas.
- Spray a light amount of your cleaning solution onto the stain, and blot at the stain until the solution is fully absorbed before repeating the process. You’ll need to be patient, and careful not to rub the feces further into the fibers of your carpet. You’ll also want to avoid over-saturating the carpet with your cleaning solution – use a little bit at a time and go slow.
- Once you notice that the stain has lightened and almost entirely disappeared, spray the area with a small amount of cold water. Then, you’ll use a clean cloth to blot up any remaining moisture from the cleaning solution or the water we just applied.
- Allow the area to dry, and then sprinkle it with baking soda before giving it a good vacuum.
Stains – or smells – still lingering?
Unfortunately, there’s only so much that can be done at home when it comes to getting pet stains and odors out of your carpets, especially if the stain was left to sit for longer than you meant for it to. If you’ve given the tips listed above a good try, but you’re still left frustrated by lingering odors and unsightly stains, then it’s definitely best to call in the pros at Dazzle CC. Our technicians specialize in pet stains and odor removal, and on top of being incredibly effective and eco-friendly, all of our cleaning products and methods are safe for animals of all shapes, size, and levels of sass!
Let’s get your home in tip-top shape for Summer. Give Dazzle CC a call today, and check us out on Instagram to remain up to date with all of our current discounts and promotions – you definitely won’t regret it, and neither will your furry pals.